Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Motorola Droid: The M does it again!



Motorola started it all, and for years it was pretty much THE name in cell phones...

Then everyone started making them, Motorola fell a bit behind and got lost in the shuffle. But then along came a Droid, and it all changed. The Motorola Droid was born.

I'm not going to review the phone per say, there are about 100,000 reviews of this phone out there. And it's now an older phone, so pretty much I'm just posting up about what I think of the phone in general. The first thing about this phone is it's quite large. It's not for those that like smaller phones, and not being a flip phone it's not the greatest purse phone either. That large screen is just begging to be scratched or broke in a loose bag or even a pocket with change or keys. 

That's a good lead in to talk about the screen. In a word....wow! It's stunning. I'm sure there are better screens, but to be honest, I don't think it could matter much. Video, pictures, and everything else is as good as any computer monitor or TV I've seen. My only complaint might be the touch screen, it's.... different. You can't calibrate it, and it seems to me the screen is a bit off. It can be tricky sometimes, it often selects the item before and after the one you want. It can be annoying sometimes, but it's not terrible. It's also a little difficult to judge the correct pressure to use then working with the touch screen. Often it takes a bit more pressure then I think it should, even after 5 months using the phone.

The Android market is awesome, and pretty much every app works well with the Droid. The great thing about the Android market is that just about everything you could ever want ,you can find for free, or for just a couple of bucks at the worse. I have hundreds of apps currently, I think about 180-190 or so. I would say about the only down fall is once you get about 4-5 months into using the phone, you've got all the most popular apps... then it's just a bit of a hunt to find interesting new apps.

If your not a fan of charging your phone, or you want to use it for long periods of time and you can't have it plugged in....then this isn't the phone for you. I'm lucky to get a 10 hours without a charge. Even if not used, like overnight, still lucky to get 12 hours. Course if you turn off auto sync and GPS and what not I'm sure it would last much longer, but why have all the toys turned off? Many apps use the GPS and it's just much easier to leave it on. And auto sync? Once again, why turn it off? So I don't get great battery life, but to be honest it doesn't bother me. It's a small price to pay. 

The sound is pretty good on both the external speaker and the headphone jacks. Android doesn't give you much adjustably built in, but the stock sound is pretty darn decent. The built in players are OK, but there are many, many players to meet pretty much any need in you could image. Video is good as long as the source is good. The camera is pretty decent, video is better then average. I would have liked a bit better camera, but I'm not gonna complain too much, does it's job. 

It does reset from time to time. The keyboards are a bit iffy. The portrait keyboard is far to small, however the landscape one is ok. The slide out keyboard is really not bad at all, but now that I've gotten used to the auto-correct and complete I can't use the slider as well. Most of those features are parts of android, so not just specific to the Droid, but the slide out keyboard is. It's not perfect, but it's nice if you use it enough to get used to it. 

All in all I really like the phone, the call quality is ok, but you don't get a smart phone for calling, calling is an after thought. It an do some really amazing things, but I just want to cover the phone in a general way, not a specific review like the hundreds you can find everywhere. 







No comments:

Post a Comment